If you have a professional degree that gives you the title of a caregiver or you have been in the caregiver profession for some years now, then the Candian Government offers you two options:

  • You can become a permanent resident of Canada.
  • You can stay and work in Canada for a temporary period of time.


  • For permanent residency, caregivers who have been temporarily residing in Canada must extend their work permits before it gets expired.
  • They must also change the conditions applied to their temporary residency before its expiry date.
  • Professional caregivers must meet the requirements for becoming a Permanent Residence and until then continue working with their work permit temporarily.
  • Individuals who want to offer their services here temporarily must apply for a work permit or get it extended through the (TFWP) Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

You must also:

  • Ensure that you keep your work record clean and positive.
  • Ensure that your employer gets a positive LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment).